It can be difficult to come up with excursions and activity ideas to enjoy with your elderly loved ones in the hot months, even during the best of times, but add in a pandemic, and you may need to think a little more creatively! As always keep an eye on the DHHS Website to ensure you are up to date with the latest restrictions as well as locations of case outbreaks to help keep your elderly loved ones safe.
Getting outdoors, soaking up some Vitamin D and fresh air is important for maintaining connection with community, enjoying some social interaction, and staying healthy and active. Avoid the middle of the day when UV rays are elevated.
- Draw, paint or even just colour-in together.
- Play board or card games together.
- Spend time resisting old family photos and videos.
- Do some cooking or baking together.
- Undertake a long term project together – refurbish a piece of furniture or sew a quilt.
- Listen to some music together. There are often free virtual concerts streamed online.
- Research your ancestry and build a family tree.
- Teach basic technology skills such as how to use Facebook or connect to Skype or FaceTime.
- Pack a picnic and head to a lovely park with some shady trees.
- Go for a Sunday drive and indulge in a delicious Devonshire tea.
- Visit a Restaurant or Winery, sit outdoors and enjoy lunch together.
- Attend an outdoor open-theatre performance or concert.
- Go for a walk early in the morning or early in the evening.
- Do some light gardening/planting together such as creating a new herb garden.
- Take a swim at the beach or local pool, or go for a spot of fishing.
- Visit a Craft Market.
Whatever activities you choose to do, the most important thing is to make it a priority to spend time together so that you can foster connection, helping to alleviate boredom, and stress. At Homestyle, our Lifestyle Co-ordinators ensure our residents are actively engaged as well as rested in the summer months.
If you would like to know more about our short or long term accommodation options, please call us on (03) 9559 0400 or visit us here.