Caregiving from a distance certainly has it challenges, but it is an invaluable service knowing that, with today’s technology, we can monitor our loved ones remotely to keep them safe. In the last year, particularly with border closures and lockdowns across Australia, it has become apparent we need to explore the possibilities and options around monitoring our elderly parents remotely.
The Benefits of Monitoring Remotely:
- Respond quickly in a fall situation.
- Monitor those with cognitive decline.
- Oversee a medical problem.
Things to Consider:
- Does the system monitor for fire or smoke?
- How many family members can connect with the system?
- Is there a fall detection system in place?
- What are the charging components of the device?
- What is the range/sensitivity of the equipment?
- Ensure you have sought consent from the legal guardians. Using a camera or audio to record and monitor someone without consent is illegal.
- What are the ongoing monthly fees and contract
Monitoring Device Options:
- Emergency alert bracelets or necklaces. But one must consider however that they may need to be removed for showering and dressing.
- GPS Enabled devices can provide mobile alerts and are accurate to within one metre.
- Camera devices equipped with motion detection sensors to give you alerts. There will however be areas that are not in view, so you will need to think where you wish to place the camera.
- Smart locks make it possible to open/close doors from a distance.
- Video door bells. You can answer the door on behalf of your loved one.
- Telehealth also offers remote monitoring devices. Patients receive a fully configured device that can remotely check blood glucose levels, blood pressure and more.
Having these systems in place can give the elderly peace of mind, not to mention their loved ones. Knowing that you can check on your parents in real time, be alerted if there has been no recent movement, or your parent has left the house unexpectedly, means you can address the situation as needed. These options are invaluable and cost effective, and with the unknown situation across Australia with shutdowns, this is a great solution.
If you would like to know more about our homes and accommodation options, please call us on (03) 9559 0400 or visit us here.