Feeling good, as well as confident about yourself, contributes to our health, wellbeing and happiness. As we age, our hair can fall out, thin, become dry and limp, or just plain frizzy and unmanageable. We share some simple tips and suggestions, so you can better manage taking care of your hair.
Use the Correct Products
As we age our hair loses pigment, so the gray and white in your hair can tint itself with a yellow tone. Try using a deep-cleaning shampoo, ideally made from a blue or violet colour that can minimise the yellow tone on silver or grey strands. Better still, make the choice to purchase shampoos and conditioners that are free of sulphates and parabens, as these strip the natural oils from your hair leaving hair brittle and dry and your scalp irritated. There are a number of different brands at the Supermarket to choose from, just check the labels.
Caring for Mature Hair
- Wear a hat when out in the sun to protect your hair and skin.
- Keep blow drying and heat styling to a minimum.
- If your hair is damaged, try washing it only once a week, allowing for a build-up of natural oils that help to moisturize your scalp.
- Brush your hair when dry, using a good detangling brush to avoid breaking and damaging your hair.
- Limit colouring your hair, as this will dry and damage hair.
- Leave your hair conditioner in for 15 minutes or try a hair moisturising mask.
- Avoid products like gels and mousses, as they expose the scalp.
- Always consult a professional hairdresser for advice on hair colour, don’t attempt the Supermarket hair dyes.
Styles Suitable for Mature Hair
- For men balding on top, haircuts should include back and sides to show equal amount of scalp as the symmetry minimises the appearance of thinning on top.
- A simple classic bob – long or short works best on older women. This also helps to frame your face, highlight your best features and a bob is low maintenance.
- Longer hair accentuates hair thinness and is more difficult to manage. It’s easier to create the look of volume with shorter hair styles.
- A good haircut and style will help hair to look healthier and more voluminous.
Everyone deserves the confidence of feeling they look their best, and our hair is an important feature. At Homestyle a number of our homes provide an in-house hairdressing salon, offering professional hair advice as well as a cut, colour and blow wave and a little pampering. If you would like to know about our short or long terms accommodation options, please call us on (03) 9559 0400, or visit us here.