If your loved one needs dementia care in Aged Care because they have been recently diagnosed with dementia, it is certainly an upsetting and stressful time. Whilst we can be focused emotionally on the diagnosis, it is important to ask the right questions and ensure our loved ones needs and wants are addressed long term when moving to Aged Care. The following list of 10 questions can assist you with your choice of dementia care:
- Do the staff listen to you and ask you questions and information pertinent to your loved one?
- What are the services available and the range of activities provided?
- When are loved ones allowed to come and visit?
- How often does the Dr visit? Do practioners such as Optometrists or physiotherapists visit?
- What is the medication policy?
- What are the additional services provided such as hairdressing?
- Are the buildings, grounds and individual rooms suitable for dementia specific residents?
- Are the individual’s rights addressed such as their religious beliefs, belongings and preferences?
- Is there language specific assistance provided?
- Have the fees been fully explained and are there any extra costs involved?
Often a decision has to be made quickly on moving into an Aged Care Facility, there is little time to adjust and settle, so knowing what you should be looking for in the first place can make the task at hand less daunting. Another option you could look at, is using an Aged Care Placement Consultancy such as Help@Hand Aged Care Placements. They are able to guide you every step of the way and obtain the best outcome for your circumstances. Whatever option you choose, know that you are not alone and there are options and experts to help you. Be sure to do your own research and due diligence as you would with any purchase or service you use.
This information was supplied by our preferred Aged Care Placement Consultant Sally Gilbert from Help@Hand Aged Care placements.
If you would like to organise a tour of one of our Aged Care Homes in Melbourne or the Geelong Region, please contact us on (03) 9559 0400 or visit us here at Homestyle Aged Care.